Destiny Or Choice?
April 12, 2021
I am standing on the kerb waiting for my friend to pick me when a car knocks me down. It is a situation I did not plan for. It just happened. I can call this situation my Destiny- something that happened in my life without my choice.
I wanted to explore the idea of Destiny, and I started looking at the Definitions of Destiny.
- Merriam Webster-The predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
- Cambridge Dictionary-The things that will happen in the future.
- Dictionary. com-Something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing.
- Collins English Dictionary-A person’s Destiny is everything that happens to them during their lives, including what will happen in the future, especially when it is considered to be controlled by someone or something else.
All the sources indicate Destiny as something predetermined or preordained, beyond our control. We can call Destiny by another name-Fate.
This set me thinking. Any situation I encounter can be my Destiny, but how I respond to that situation is a choice.
How I choose to respond, what I choose to do- these are matters of me exercising my judgment and free will.
The life I experience today is Destiny. It was meant to be. However, what I choose to do today, I am sure, has a role to play in shaping my Destiny.
- If I invest in keeping my body, mind, and soul healthy, hopefully, my future will be peaceful and healthy. Instead, if I choose to indulge in unhealthy pursuits, it will surely have a negative impact on my future well-being.
- If I water my relationships well and stay connected today, I will enjoy fulfilling future relationships. Instead, If I ignore and neglect my relationships today, I may experience isolation in the future.
- If I invest in growing my skills every day, I can hope to experience success in the future. However, If I slothfully slack out, I will undoubtedly stagnate in the future.
As I write my thoughts in this blog post, I realize karma is, in a way, Destiny.
Karma is Destiny as a result of choices I exercise and actions I take.
This is why we say, “Man is the maker of his destiny.” The actions we take today, tomorrow, the day after, and the day later will determine the future we will experience.
Therefore, choose the actions you will take today wisely. They have the power to determine your Destiny !!