We Are Our Worst Critics
July 1, 2022
Many of us who are committed to doing good work have days when we beat ourselves up for mistakes or faults. This beating ourselves up happens unconsciously and we end up feeling bad about ourselves as a result. Self-criticism makes us anxious and dissatisfied with our present moment.
How do we become better at being more relaxed when mistakes happen or when faults occur so that we don’t get stuck in a hamster’s wheel of self-criticism?
If you are ever feeling low and struggling with a hard day, here is a set of ten reminders that I picked up (from a Post by David McLean, by a LinkedIn Top Voice) to help you pivot from a mindset of self criticism to self compassion.
- A bad day is not equal to a BAD LIFE.
- Not all thoughts are TRUE.
- Feelings are not FACTS.
- The only way out is THROUGH.
- Your WORTH is not contingent on circumstances.
- NOTHING stays the same.
- You can’t be EVERYTHING to everyone.
- Be GENTLE with yourself. And trust your inner voice, strength and resilience.
- You are NOT ALONE. It’s ok to ask for help.
- Focus on the things you CAN CONTROL.
Here is a quote that I like a lot about how to deal with self-criticism.
Don’t carry your mistakes around with you. Instead, place them under your feet and use them as stepping stones !!