Seven Leadership Traits
July 17, 2023
One of my favorite expressions is professional growth happens when personal growth happens. When you work at improving yourself, you get better on the inside, which helps you grow on the outside.
As you grow professionally, at some point, you graduate into a leadership role where it is no longer about you but elevating the performance of those in your charge. You can always tell someone how good you are at leading; however, it will be the success of your people that proves it.
Developing a strong leadership mindset is crucial to effectively bring out your team’s best. It entails you creating an environment of trust, care, and support where team members feel inspired to operate independently and fearlessly. Leaders should strive to embody seven key leadership traits in their everyday actions. Many of these traits are also personal values.
- Set High Standards: Establish a benchmark for your work and consistently live up to it, setting an example for others to follow.
- Avoid Analysis Paralysis– make decisions promptly and stand by them.
- Embrace Mistakes: When you make decisions, you will get a few going wrong. Don’t worry; own up to your mistakes. This will set the tone for the team- that it is ok to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Stay Open-Minded: Be receptive to feedback and input from your teammates and others, recognizing the value of different perspectives.
- Embrace Uncertainty: Acknowledge that you don’t have all the answers and be willing to seek help when needed. Asking for assistance demonstrates humility and a commitment to finding the best solutions.
- Communicate With Empathy: Recognize that your teammates may not have the same context and understanding as you. Take the time to understand their experiences and tailor your messages accordingly, showing empathy and understanding.
- Celebrate Team Achievements: Keep track of small and significant progress made by your teammates and take the time to acknowledge and celebrate their successes.
By embodying these seven traits and continuously striving for personal growth, you can foster a positive and thriving team environment that enables everyone to reach their full potential.